SAJE (Strategic Actions for a Just Economy) is hiring a Tenant Rights Specialist to assist tenants in learning their rights, creating tenant rights clinic curricula, maintaining and growing tenant data lists, and developing tenant leaders. The successful candidate for this position is someone seeking to make a meaningful difference through their work by helping to address Los Angeles’ most pressing economic justice issues, especially housing affordability and tenant rights. This candidate is diligent, passionate, independent, a problem solver, has attention to detail, is organized, and is willing to learn/grow continuously. They are excited to be part of a team that values justice, equality, perseverance, team building, and delegation.
- Tenant Action Clinic (TAC) (5 hours)
- Support tenants in person through our bimonthly tenant by helping them understand their rights and access resources
- Encourage tenants to submits letters, file complaints, and connect to legal service providers if needed, and attend our New Member Orientation meetings
- Identify tenants with organizing potential and invite/follow up with organizing opportunities
- Tenant Anti-Harassment Ordinance (TAHO) Clinics (10 hours)
- Inform tenants about the Tenant Anti-Harassment Ordinance (TAHO)
- Support with curriculum development and implementation for the TAHO clinic
- Encourage tenants to submit letters to their landlord and file complaints
- Track and maintain tenant information spreadsheets and databases, including what complaints have been filed
- Support with organizing for the TAHO 2.0 policy change
- Support tenants in providing public comments during City Council meetings and video testimony
- Support with outreach days to connect with tenants on the ground when needed
- Admin/General Support/Other (5 hours)
- Attend and provide support during weekly Keep LA Housed (KLAH) organizing/communications meetings
- Attend other activities as necessary (e.g., actions, meetings, trainings)
- Track tenant attendance for meetings in turnout tracker and in KLAH work plan DEI/Council District Goals
- Update Nationbuilder with tenant interactions
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, OR
- Minimum three years’ work experience or relevant work experience
- Alignment with SAJE’s mission and values
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, gender, and economic justice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Curious, flexible, and adept at problem solving
- Able to work cross-functionally with different kinds of people and teams
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish preferred
- Valid driver’s license
This is a part-time, hourly position. The rate of pay is $29.35 per hour. This job does not include benefits.
Your application must include a cover letter, resume, and at least three professional references; applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response. Email to email@example.com; no phone calls please. Include “Part-time tenant rights administrative” and your full name in the subject line.
SAJE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. BIPOC, WOMEN, AND LGBTQ CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Since 1996, SAJE has been a force for economic justice in Los Angeles. We believe that all people have a right to the city, and that the future of neighborhoods should be decided by those who dwell there. For over 25 years, we have worked side-by-side with our members to improve our community by advocating for tenant rights, healthy housing, and equitable development. We focus on housing policy because it is a root cause of economic and social inequality, shaped by decades of redlining, racial covenants, and most recently, predatory lending and foreclosure practices. Our work seeks to protect vulnerable communities from eviction, lockouts, and harassment, preserve existing affordable housing, and promote the production of additional affordable housing in new construction. Ultimately, our aim is to decommodify housing through the creation of permanent affordable housing, community land trusts, and public and social housing that prioritizes people over profits.