As a convener and in partnership with other organizations, SAJE has worked to ensure that the fate of a city’s neighborhood is decided by those who live there. Our policy research and White Papers on topics such as community planning and city development are nationally known and respected.
Since SAJE was established in 1996, our numerous achievements include:
Community Benefits Agreements
- With UNIDAD coalition, led the successful effort to pass the Community Plan Implementation Overlay Zones, the final step to create more equitable land use rules through the passage of South Southeast LA Community Plans.
- LA Sports and Entertainment District Agreement complete agreement from our historic win.
- Geoffrey Palmer ‘Lorenzo Project’ Community Benefits Agreement.
- With ACT-LA successfully pushed back against SB 827 and prevented mandatory up-zoning along transit lines without appropriate tenant protection measures.
- Negotiated a first-of-its-kind Community Benefits Agreement with Anschutz Entertainment Group (owner of Staples Center and L.A. Live), which stipulated the hiring of neighborhood residents at a living wage.
- Created the nation’s first welfare-to-work account.
- Assisted the City Attorney in convicting a record number of slumlords and then we helped relocate the tenants to safe and healthy housing.
- Helped establish a community land trust to ensure public stewardship of local land.
- Worked with City leaders and other community groups to negotiate with USC on the redevelopment of its campus to protect the rights of the neighbors and assure their fair treatment.
Direct Services Provided
- Developed OWN IT! (Organizers Warning, Notification, and Information for Tenants!) to allow residents to access information about their housing from multiple government sources.
- In 2018, we served 458 families in our Tenant Action Clinics.
- Organized residents for Unincorporated Tenants United. As a result of UTU’s advocacy the Board of Supervisors passed a temporary rent control measure covering 1.1 million people.