SAJE is always looking for bright, hardworking, and passionate team players to come on board!
Tenant Outreach and Education Associate
SAJE’s mission is to impact public and corporate policy in a manner that provides concrete economic benefits to working class people, increases the economic rights of working class people, and builds leadership through a movement for economic justice.
SAJE is seeking a qualified applicant to perform outreach, education, and assistance functions for Los Angeles tenants, in buildings with serious habitability issues that have been referred to the City of Los Angeles REAP program.
REAP, the Rent Escrow Account Program exists to resolve the most persistent health, safety, and habitability issues found in rental properties in the City and protect tenants from substandard living conditions, helping to preserve L.A.’s valuable affordable housing stock.
REAP encourages owners to make the repairs and return their properties to a safe and habitable condition. Tenants of affected units are given a 10% to 50% rent reduction depending on the nature and severity of the violations cited.
SAJE has a contract to perform tenant outreach work to properties in the REAP program to educate and inform tenants or their rights and to encourage them to pay their reduced rents into an escrow account managed by the LA Housing Department.
SAJE Outreach and Education Worker will work closely with SAJE’s primary REAP Outreach and Education Contractor to support site visits to properties to monitor the status of the units and determine whether the required repairs were made by landlords to bring the properties up to code and into compliance.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- a) Participating in orientation and training with Primary REAP Outreach Contractor
- b) Driving extensively to REAP properties in all neighborhoods of the city, and canvassing tenants door-to-door.
- c) Educating tenants regarding their rights and encouraging them to pay their reduced rent into REAP
- d) Meeting and interacting with landlords
- e) Assisting tenants with accessing local resources and legal assistance.
- f) Entering data via City of LA online data system; preparing reports on work performed; and maintaining and updating files.
- g) Door-to-door canvassing work
- h) Organizing and facilitating building meetings and providing ongoing support to tenant associations
- i) Preparing and distributing meeting notices, agendas, educational materials
- j) Assisting tenants with accessing local resources and legal assistance
- k) Maintain and property updating files
- l) Support Tenant Action Clinic every Tuesday evening
m)Conduct mediation between tenants & landlord LL when necessary.
1) A valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and a dependable car.
2) Ability to converse and write fluently in English and Spanish.
2) Strong interpersonal skills and comfort speaking with people in highly varied life situations.
4) Able to complete necessary reporting duties with accuracy and timeliness.
5) Ability to work evenings and weekends. (On some occasions work may require irregular and long hours).
6) Good writing, speaking and research skills
7) Must be able to maintain accurate records and have the ability to write timely, required reports on work.
1) Experience in tenant, community or labor organizing groups.
2) Experience in and commitment to community activism and social justice.
3) Working knowledge of standard office software applications.
4) Knowledge of landlord/tenant law and housing issues.
How to apply
Send email cover letter, resume and 3 references to email@example.com
Director of Communications
Strategic Actions for a Just Economy (SAJE) is an economic justice organization that has been building economic power for working class people in Los Angeles for over 20 years. SAJE created the nation’s first welfare-to-work bank account, organized an important and autonomous model for democratic development, T.R.U.S.T. South LA, which pioneered the use of community benefit agreements as a tool for equitable development; and contributes to the development of innovative new land use policies.
Since 2001, SAJE has focused its attention on the Figueroa Corridor, home to 200,000 working class people. The pressure of development in this area leads to the rapid displacement of historic communities of color as landlords price out or push out residents through harassment, illegal eviction, or intentional building neglect.
SAJE’s current projects include tenant clinics, the South Los Angeles Healthy Homes Collaborative, internship and volunteer programs, publicly-funded tenant outreach, grassroots leadership development, and community-based projects, coalitions and collaborations that advance equity.
SAJE seeks a director to establish an organized, focused communications operation that helps advance the interests of tenants and other Los Angeles residents, particularly low-income tenants, communities of color, and residents of South Los Angeles, at the heart of our city’s and our region’s collective vision for its future.
- Establish and lead a communications department that elevates SAJE’s visibility and public understanding of its work, including developing messaging, talking points, speeches and communication plans to increase awareness of SAJE initiatives
- Lead media relations activities, including generating positive earned media for SAJE’s actions through press conferences, pitching, media advisories, press releases and building reporter relationships
- Act as a spokesperson and lead ongoing media and speaker training for SAJE spokespeople; develop and share talking points regularly with SAJE leaders, staff, and partners so they are equipped to be effective ambassadors of the organization’s work
- Oversee the editorial strategy and content development for SAJE’s social and digital media channels, including the web site, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and email newsletters
- In partnership with SAJE’s outside communications agency, implement SAJE’s newly developed strategic communications plan, including launching new strategies and tactics to increase understanding of SAJE’s work
- Measure and analyze the impact of SAJE’s communications function and media coverage, continuously adjusting to improve effectiveness
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the management team to integrate their work with the communications operation
- Provide guidance and tools to support SAJE staff in promoting their programs and events with target audiences
- Coordinate collaborative communications campaigns with key partner organizations
- Work with field staff to develop communications materials, toolkits and workshops for member activists
- Excellent writer and communicator, with the ability to recognize and craft compelling stories and narratives that advance understanding and inspire audiences to take action
- Achievement in creating and managing public relations programs, including writing talking points, media materials, and media outreach
- 3-4 years in a communications/policy role, ideally for a progressive cause, philanthropy, or political organization
- Mindset and core values of service to the greater good, transparency, collaboration and teamwork, a bias toward action; someone who thrives on achieving results and building and maintaining solid relationships with internal partners and clients
- Strong relationships and knowledge of Los Angeles civic leaders and media
- Excellence in developing and running successful advocacy campaigns through digital and social media channels and news vehicles
- Subject matter expertise around Los Angeles policy, housing and tenant rights issues is preferred
- Spanish fluency and experience engaging with the diverse perspectives of people of color a plus
To apply: mail, fax or email cover letter and resume to:
Cynthia Strathmann, PhD
(213) 745-9969 (fax)
152 W. 32nd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
SAJE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER