SAJE (Strategic Actions for a Just Economy) is hiring a Development Associate who will help us establish a pipeline for private funding. The successful candidate for this newly created position is someone seeking to make a meaningful difference through their work by helping to address Los Angeles’ most pressing economic justice issues, especially housing affordability and tenant rights. The candidate is ambitious, confident, and self-directed, excited to build a department from the ground up by identifying and establishing relationships with individual donors who are passionate about SAJE and our mission. They think strategically about how to keep these audiences connected to SAJE’s work and accomplishments through events, communications, and other donor relations activities. They are also a strong partner to the executive director in managing relationships with SAJE’s board of directors.
ABOUT SAJE: Since 1996, SAJE has been a force for economic justice in Los Angeles. We believe that all people have a right to the city, and that the future of neighborhoods should be decided by those who dwell there. For over 25 years, we have worked side-by-side with our members to improve our community by advocating for tenant rights, healthy housing, and equitable development. We focus on housing policy because it is a root cause of economic and social inequality, shaped by decades of redlining, racial covenants, and most recently, predatory lending and foreclosure practices. Our work seeks to protect vulnerable communities from eviction, lockouts, and harassment, preserve existing affordable housing, and promote the production of additional affordable housing in new construction. Ultimately, our aim is to decommodify housing through the creation of permanent affordable housing, community land trusts, and public and social housing that prioritizes people over profits.
- Work closely with the executive and management teams to identify prospective and current individual donors who are passionate about SAJE’s mission and work
- Steward donors through targeted communications, in-person meetings, phone calls, and other donor relations activities
- Plan, manage, and execute a variety of fundraising events
- Build and maintain a robust database of current and prospective donor information
- Support relations between SAJE and its board of directors, including organizing and staffing board meetings, drafting communications, and leading board recruitment and onboarding
- Compile regular fundraising reports for SAJE’s executive team and board of directors
- Write fundraising appeals and acknowledgment letters
- Process and track donations
- Become familiar with SAJE’s campaigns and policy positions and conversant in housing and economic justice issues in Los Angeles
- Manage calendar, set goals, and create a weekly work plan
- Provide interpretation and translation from other languages, dialects, or language registers if your knowledge and skills enable you to do so
- Participate in other SAJE activities as needed, such as all-staff meetings and retreats, public hearings, political canvassing, actions, and coalition fundraisers
- Perform other duties as the organization’s needs determine
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum five years’ work experience
- Alignment with SAJE’s mission and values
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, gender, and economic justice
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with attention to detail, in order to build and sustain multi-year fundraising campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Curious, flexible, and adept at problem solving
- Able to work cross-functionally with different kinds of people and teams
- Ability to build deep and genuine relationships with different kinds of stakeholders
- Comfortable with the wide variety of sectors that make up the world of fundraising and philanthropy
- Flexible in time and mind: there will be weekly evening commitments and work required during the weekend
Must be able to
- Communicate verbally and in writing in English
- Use basic computer software, including Excel and database systems
- Work well in teams and communicate effectively with other individuals
- Stand and walk for long periods of time
- Lift weights up to 50 pounds
- Carry on appropriate conversations, participate attentively in meetings and trainings, and develop productive professional relationships
- Perform a variety of duties even with distractions or interruptions, and adjust priorities quickly
- Be vaccinated against diseases as recommended by medical professionals
- Experience in donor cultivation and fundraising
- Experience with technology platforms, including WordPress, donor database management, and email marketing applications
- Project management experience
- Live event production experience
- Fundraising certification a plus
Please note this job description provides an overview of the position but is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the activities, duties or responsibilities that are required.
We strive to maintain a forty-hour work week and a sustainable work/life balance and offer a competitive benefits package and salary (based on experience). Salary is $55K to $65K plus benefits (including medical, vision, and dental) with three weeks of vacation per year (four weeks per year after one year of service) and thirteen holidays.
Your application must include a cover letter, resume, and at least three professional references; applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
Email to email@example.com; no phone calls please. Include “Development Associate” and your full name in the subject line.
SAJE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. BIPOC, WOMEN, AND LGBTQ CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.