As a convener and in partnership with other organizations, SAJE has worked to ensure that the fate of a city’s neighborhood is decided by those who live there. Our policy research and White Papers on topics such as community planning and city development are nationally known and respected.
Since SAJE was established in 1996, our numerous achievements include:
Community Benefits Agreements
- LA Sports and Entertainment District Agreement complete agreement from our historic win.
- Geoffrey Palmer ‘Lorenzo Project’ Community Benefits Agreement.
- Grand Metropolitan Community Benefits Agreement.
- Negotiated a first-of-its-kind Community Benefits Agreement with Anschutz Entertainment Group (owner of Staples Center and L.A. Live), which stipulated the hiring of neighborhood residents at a living wage.
- Created the nation’s first welfare-to-work account.
- Assisted the City Attorney in convicting a record number of slumlords and then we helped relocate the tenants to safe and healthy housing.
- Helped establish a community land trust to ensure public stewardship of local land.
- Worked with City leaders and other community groups to negotiate with USC on the redevelopment of its campus to protect the rights of the neighbors and assure their fair treatment.
Direct Services Provided
- In 2014 we served more than 700 families through our weekly Tenant Clinics.
- In 2014 our Community Organizers conducted more than 400 resident surveys to identify unhealthy living conditions in their neighborhoods.